Tuesday, August 24, 2021

94. Sisters


Sisters. Raina Telgemeier. 2014. 199 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Are you sure you're all packed? You're not forgetting anything? What about the tent?

Premise/plot: Raina's family (her mom, her two siblings Amara and Will) are preparing to DRIVE to a family reunion in Colorado. (The dad will be flying to meet them there a bit later on in the week). As the family heads out for their adventures (and misadventures!) Raina has time to REFLECT on her life. Readers are treated to a series of flashback sequences. We see a young Raina anxious and eager to have a baby SISTER. We see Raina ecstatic--at first--until she realizes that her new sister doesn't do much at all. We see the tension between the two--they aren't all that close! We also see them both react to the news of having a baby brother! Meanwhile, there's plenty of action happening in the present both on the way and on the way back. In fact the climax of the book (in my opinion) happens on the way back!!!!

My thoughts: I really liked Smile. I did. I enjoyed Raina's perspective. I thought she was a great character. (It is an autobiographical graphic novel). But I really LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the second book in the series. Sisters was all kinds of awesome! I loved the flashback scenes especially. I won't mention my absolute favorite, favorite, favorite, favorite scene because SPOILERS but, seriously, this book is unforgettable. I loved the author including photographs there at the end.

Definitely recommend this series.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: