Tuesday, August 24, 2021

93. Smile


Smile. Raina Telgemeier. 2009. 214 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Smile!! Good! Let's get you set up in a chair, and the orthodontist will look at your teeth in a few minutes.

Premise/plot: Smile is an autobiographical graphic novel by Raina Telgemeier. The graphic novel chronicles her middle school adventures and misadventures. (The novel opens with her in sixth grade. It closes with her in high school.) The novel focuses on her...you guessed it...SMILE. And she has a lot of reasons to NOT want to smile. Growing up is tough. Growing up with braces is tougher. Growing up with braces and missing two front teeth....well....that's the kind of tough that leads you to write books as an adult. It all starts with an accident...

The book is about growing up, struggling with friendships, the increasing tension in her family, puberty, and self-esteem issues to a certain degree. She's certainly self-conscious about her smile!

It is autobiographical. It is set late 80s to early 90s.

My thoughts: I definitely enjoyed reading Smile! I found the book relatable. It was a quick read. I loved the artwork. I loved the family dynamics. I loved the story. I loved the characters.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: