Monday, August 29, 2022

104. The Lost Hero


The Lost Hero. (Heroes of Olympus #1) Rick Riordan. 2010. 553 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Even before he got electrocuted, Jason was having a rotten day.

Premise/plot: Percy Jackson has gone missing. Annabeth discovers three demigods--Jason, Leo, and Piper--while she is searching for Percy. The three soon find themselves at Camp Halfblood. Strange things are afoot (once again). A quest is coming...danger abounds...you now, same old same old. Piper, Leo, and Jason along with a mechanical dragon named Festus (think steampunk) soon find themselves searching for a missing goddess all the while battling giants...

My thoughts: Instead of following one narrator from start to finish, this one alternates between the three protagonists: Jason (who has lost his memory), Leo (who is keeping a secret about fire) and Piper (who is keeping a secret about her dad). The three will have to listen to one another--and work together--if they are to save the world. To be fair, this is only preliminary saving the world, but it is important nonetheless. 

Even though I've read this one before (back in 2011), I have absolutely no memory of it. Reading my review, I apparently loved it. I can't say that my thoughts are gushy now. It was solid enough for what it was--another mythology based quest featuring struggling  kids. I don't know if it is longer than the books in the Percy Jackson series, but it surely felt like it. Having a book with fifty-two chapters is intimidating. I know the other books didn't have that many chapters, though perhaps they just had longer chapters? Either way, I felt this one dragged a bit here and there. I cared about what happened. But I wanted to get there faster.

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: