Sunday, August 14, 2022

97. The Last Olympian


The Last Olympian. (Percy Jackson #5) Rick Riordan. 2009. 381 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The end of the world started when a pegasus landed on the hood of my car. Up until then, I was having a great afternoon.

Premise/plot: Percy Jackson and his fellow camp-mates from Camp Half Blood fight the ultimate battle against the oh-so-evil Kronus. (Kronus, if you remember, is currently embodying the body of Luke, a former friend turned traitor.) Kronus' side has won over a lot of discontented demigods and minor gods. It seems like a losing battle from page one. But is it enough for Percy to give up all hope and surrender? 

My thoughts: This was my first time to reread the last two books in the series. The first three books in the series got a little more reread love back in the day. Rachel Elizabeth Dare (who plays quite a big part in the last few books) is a character I had completely forgotten about--mostly. In particular, the love triangle that isn't really a love triangle. (Was there ever any doubt that Annabeth was Percy's choice all along?) If there was a love triangle--and I'm not convinced there truly was--then perhaps it was Annabeth, Luke, and Percy. 

I thought it was packed with plenty of action. Think of an Avengers' movie. 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: