Thursday, September 22, 2022

117. From the Shadows


From the Shadows (Billy Boyle #17) James R. Benn. 2022. [September] 336 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The sea wanted to swallow me whole. I wouldn't have minded if it had been quick.

Premise/plot: Billy Boyle is starring in his SEVENTEENTH mystery novel in James R. Benn's From the Shadows. This historical mystery novel is set in France in 1944. Boyle (and company) are working hard to fight the good fight. Their work does mostly take place behind the scenes, their missions more secret than not. And, let's face it, wherever they go they always end up needing to solve a murder or two. Such is the case in this newest installment. This time they are tracking down a traitor, but, it is anything but simple and straightforward.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I always enjoy Billy Boyle mysteries. Without a doubt, Billy Boyle is one of my favorite, favorite, favorite book characters. I love the history. I love the mystery. I love the action and suspense. But I will say that you do need to read these in order. It wouldn't be a bad idea to binge-read your way through the entire series. 

The author note includes information about the 442nd Regimental Combat team. I always like to know what inspired the author and to find out what is true and what is fiction. I found this one packed with history. Of course, it is a blend of history and fiction, but it is fascinating nonetheless.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Marg said...

17 books in a series is a commitment, but if they are still such good quality at this point then it must be worth it!

Thanks for sharing this review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge