Tuesday, October 11, 2022

125. The House of Hades


The House of Hades. (The Heroes of Olympus #4) Rick Riordan. 2013. 597 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: During the third attack, Hazel almost ate a boulder. She was peering into the fog, wondering how it could be so difficult to fly across one stupid mountain range, when the ship's alarm bells sounded.

Premise/plot: The fourth book in the series, The House of Hades, is action-packed (finally). Readers follow eight characters--Jason, Percy, Annabeth, Hazel, Piper, Leo, Frank, and Nico. (I think Nico is the only character whose point of view we do not get). In the last book, Percy and Annabeth plummeted to Tartarus. From the underworld side, they will be fighting their way to the Doors of Death. On this side, the other six characters are fighting their way to the Doors of Death. Plenty of battles, plenty of enemies, plenty of action. 

My thoughts: I struggled with the earlier books in this series. Or at least the third book in the series. I don't remember books one and two dragging out and being pointless. (That is my opinion, and it could be a matter of timing.) I was engaged with this one from cover to cover. It was such a happy thing to be so engaged in a book that I actually want to keep turning pages. Especially since the third book felt like it had a million pages and no end in sight. 

Because this is a SERIES book, it's hard to talk about the premise and plot and my thoughts on the premise and plot--namely the characters and story--without spoiling earlier books. And sometimes my thoughts--in order to make sense--would require me to unpack multiple books. It is just easier to keep things brief and vague.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: