Friday, October 21, 2022

132. Vampiric Vacation


Vampiric Vacation: Sinister Summer #2. Kiersten White. 2022. 320 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The day was decidedly sinister. But not in a charming Sinister-Winterbottom way.

Premise/plot: Theo(dora), Alex(ander) and Wil(helmina) are back in their second (mis)adventure novel. Their summer vacation continues. The novel opens when Aunt Saffronia drops them off at the Sanguine Spa--and then dashes off. Wil (the oldest) sticks to her phone and can't really be bothered. But Alex and Theo have much to explore--to seek and find. But it would be helpful if they had a little guidance as to what they were looking for. As they engage with the super-young staff and the Count himself, they become more curious and definitely more spooked. What is going on in this castle-spa-hotel???

My thoughts: I definitely engaged more with the first book in the series. I liked the water-park (amusement park) setting. The characters seemed fresh/original. It wasn't particularly being tied to any other book/story. This one has so many ties to Dracula that it was a little frustrating. At a certain point, it began to tell its own story and from there it improved. But it wasn't love cover to cover. I wasn't charmed like I had been with the first book. That being said, I do like the characters. And I'd definitely still be interested in reading book three in the series. The larger mystery is just beginning to unfold, I think. 

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: