Sunday, November 06, 2022

143. Flying Fillies: The Skies the Limit


Flying Fillies: The Sky's The Limit. Christy Hui. 2022. [July] 202 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: "How can anyone be pleased about leaving Chicago?" asked Samantha. She was still shocked even though she'd known about the move for weeks.

Premise/plot: Dawn, our protagonist, is super excited to be leaving Chicago for Sweetwater, Texas. Her grandfather lives in Sweetwater and has a horse ranch. She's always wanted to learn to ride horses. Her aunt, a female aviator, will coincidentally soon find herself in Sweetwater as well training to be a WASP. Women Airforce Service Pilots. The setting is historical; this one is set in 1942. The United States is preparing to fight in the war. [War has already been declared].

The plot is two-fold: Dawn loves horses; Dawn loves planes. She pesters her way into being an assistant of sorts [earning herself the nickname Froggy] at the air field. She makes friends with some of the trainees. 

My thoughts: BE ye warned ahead of time. A horse will die super-super-super early on. And that's just the start of what may be uncomfortable reading for those with a sensitive nature.

This one is historical fiction. Though the WASP were real. The author has changed ALL the names--though not the name of the training field. I was expecting the names of the trainees to be fictional. I wasn't expecting the names of the women who created/formed/founded the program to be changed as well. That was a little disorienting. For the average reader who wouldn't recognize the names anyway, well, it might not matter in the slightest. But for me, well, it was odd. Historical fiction can include actual, real historical figures too.

While I know that the majority of readers will not be annoyed in the slightest by a 'major'-to-me inaccuracy, it bothered me a good deal. WASP is always, always, always, repeat with me, always WASP. Never in any circumstance WASPS. There's never a good reason for that "s" on the end. It just does not belong. If you wouldn't use the word PILOTSS, you shouldn't use the word WASPS. 

I think for me the best part of this one was the back matter. Yes, the back matter had its WASPs moments too. (Unfortunately) But it had some good, basic information that will provide plenty of context for this one. So many photographs. I recognized almost all of the photographs in the WASP section. It was great. The book didn't have to be so thorough in providing information and it was. 

I do think the book had its moments of realism.

Personally, I could have done with a little less horses and more of a singular focus. But that's realistic too. It's realistic that people--of all ages--have multiple interests and PASSIONS. Lives are complex and complicated. 

Do I recommend it? I realize that all of the things that irritate me would not irritate most readers. So I don't have a problem saying that this would be a good fit for young readers who love historical fiction.

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Darwin said...

Super review, thanks a lot;)

Ms. Yingling said...

I was looking at this one, but the early-on horse death might not be what my horse readers want. Already have too many WWII home front books. Will try to read, but will be prepared.

Marg said...

What a shame that this book didn't work for you, and for the warning about the horse.

Thanks for sharing your review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge