Monday, November 21, 2022

156. The Dark Prophecy


The Dark Prophecy (The Trials of Apollo #2) Rick Riordan. 2017. 414 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: When our dragon declared war on Indiana, I knew it was going to be a bad day.

Premise/plot: The Dark Prophecy is the second book in the Trials of Apollo series by Rick Riordan. Apollo, the god, has been punished with mortality. He has lost all his powers and is semi-reliant on demi-gods (half-gods) for help. Apollo is joined on his semi-quest (no oracles means no official quests) by Leo and Calypso. (Characters we met in a previous series). These three are still trying to figure out which three emperors (well, Nero plus two others) are out to take over the world. 

My thoughts: I think my patience is wearing thin at this point. I don't remember disliking Lester/Apollo quite this much in the first book? Or maybe a little goes a long way? I don't know. It just seems so same-old, same-old, same-old and pointless. The quests always have a surface-level intensity that turns to nothing. Because no matter what, there's a small-ish victory at the end of each book--a brief pause of the action--and then the next book introduces a new "bigger" threat. It's never-ending.

Has anyone read all five books in the series? Does it improve?

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

They were good to read as they came out, but I don't know that I would ever reread. I also wasn't a huge fan of Apollo. I do like Riordan's humor, but the influx of culturally based fantasy books are all starting to run together a bit in my mind. If they are not making you happy, I'd read something else!