Friday, May 01, 2009

The Demigod Files


Riordan, Rick. 2009. The Demigod Files. Disney/Hyperion. 151 pages.

Part of me feels like a complete traitor for saying this, but, I am so very thankful I checked this one out of the library and didn't spend my money on it. Does that make me evil? Maybe. Slightly. But I think it makes me honest as well. And honesty is key. I think the readers who enjoy The Demigod Files are the readers who are so head-over-heels enthralled with Percy Jackson that they just can't wait until the next installment is released in May. These are the readers who probably have a countdown of days going. (May 5th according to Amazon.)

Don't get me wrong. I'm a BIG BIG BIG fan of Percy Jackson. But I can also recognize fluff when I see it. What this book does offer is three short stories about Percy. The rest comes up a bit short in my humble opinion.

What Riordan succeeds at in his writing is the ever-important first line. Most authors, I believe, aim to have that one magical first line to draw the reader in from the start. What Riordan does is offer that one magical first line in each and every chapter. And for the most part, he's a master. I wouldn't have trouble crowning him king or champion when it comes to that. He knows the importance of keeping them hooked, keeping them reading.

"I was in fifth-period science class when I heard these noises outside. Scrawk! Ow! Screech! Hiya!"

"One dragon can ruin your whole day. Trust me, as a demigod I've had my share of bad experiences."

"Christmas in the Underworld was NOT my idea."

The book also offers a sneak peak at the fifth and final installment: The Last Olympian. We get the first chapter I believe. Here is the first line of that one:

"The end of the world started when a pegasus landed on the hood of my car."

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

1 comment:

Zibilee said...

My son loves these books, but I had no idea that there was a new one coming out. On to the wish list it goes! Thanks for letting me know about this.