Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Starfinder (MG)


Marco, John. 2009. Starfinder. Daw Books. 326 pages.

Moth was flying his kite near the aerodrome when he heard the dragonfly crash.

Starfinder is a fantasy novel for young adults. It's a typical fantasy in many ways. It stars a young boy--an orphan of course--who is thrust into a mysterious quest which ends up changing his destiny. Full of adventure and fantastical creatures--centaurs, dragons, mermaids, etc., the novel picks up pace after Moth, our narrator, loses his caregiver (grandfather-figure) Leroux. Soon Moth and his best friend, a young girl named Fiona, are off on a quest to fulfill an old man's dying wish. A wish that they can't quite wrap their minds around, but a promise is a promise is a promise. So off they go into the unknown and along the way they may just discover the unknown about themselves.

I'll be honest, the first few chapters dragged for me. I wasn't particularly inspired to keep reading. But once the quest had begun, once the adventure started, once they met the dragon, it began to pick up for me. I actually became connected with the story. (Or at least better connected with the story.) Though it got off to a rough start--for me--it did improve enough for me to be thankful that I stuck with it. And I think that now the world and characters have been created--have been set up--it will only get better from here.

John Marco’s TLC Book Tours TOUR STOPS:

Wednesday, May 20th: Fantasy & Sci-Fi Lovin’ News & Reviews

Saturday, May 23rd: Fantasy Book Critic

Tuesday, May 26th: Steph Su Reads

Wednesday, May 27th: Shooting Stars Mag

Thursday, May 28th: Becky’s Book Reviews

Monday, June 1st: Stuff as Dreams are Made On

Wednesday, June 3rd: Juiciliciousss Reviews

Friday, June 5th: Beth Fish Reads

Monday, June 8th: Books By Their Cover

Wednesday, June 10th: In Search of Giants

Friday, June 12th: The Tome Traveller

Monday, June 15th: At Home With Books

Wednesday, June 17th: The Written World

Friday, June 19th: Medieval Bookworm

Tuesday, June 23rd: The Magic of Ink

Thursday, June 25th: Reader’s Respite

Monday, June 29th: Drey’s Library






© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

3 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag 9:54 PM  

Nice review. I'm still in the middle of this one...slacking, I know...but I did post the first half of my review as I'm about halfway through the book. I do agree, it's a great adventure story that picks up as you go along. That often happens though, have to explain the world and everything, I guess.

-lauren

Meghan 3:44 AM  

I felt similarly about this book. Once it got going, it really got going, but it took a few chapters. Once the world was established, the author could really get down to the business of adventure. I'm looking forward to others in the series. =)

Kailana 12:27 PM  

I find that the first couple chapters drag, too! I put it aside to read later, so I am glad to hear it starts to pick up! I have to pick it back up again soon!

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP