Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Mysterious Benedict Society And The Prisoner's Dilemma (MG)


Stewart, Trenton Lee. 2009. The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma. Little, Brown Young Readers. 391 pages.

In a city called Stonetown, on the third floor of an old, gray-stoned house, a boy named Reynie Muldoon was considering his options.

This is the third book in the series. (The Mysterious Benedict Society; Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey) It follows the continuing adventures of four super-smart kids: Reynie, Sticky, Kate, and Constance. These four kids live (along with their guardians and protectors) with Mr. Benedict. They are trying to keep the Whisperer out of the hands of the evil (boo, hiss) Mr. Curtain, the twin brother of Mr. Benedict. But trying to keep the world safe isn't all that easy. Danger is always lurking.

The kids are as clever as ever. Solving puzzles and riddles, thinking their way out of impossible-seeming situations. Working together as a team. Using each other's strengths and balancing out each other's weaknesses. It's got plenty of action and adventure.

Personally, I found this one to be a bit boring. I don't know why the action just didn't thrill me this time round. I loved the first one very much. Liked the second. But found this third to be just okay. For me. Remember this is all subjective. And you may love this one! I would still recommend it to fans of the series. It does provide resolution. And it is fun to revisit these characters again.

(Review copy provided by publisher.)

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I'll keep this in mind when Christmas rolls around. I bought the first one for my wife for Christmas this year and decided to stop there and see what she thought rather than getting all of them.

Bethany Grace said...

I really enjoy this series! They aren't mind blowing or terribly though-provoking, but I found them so clever and entertainging. Glad there is a third, I've been meaning to grab it up!

Michele said...

I've got the first in the series, but haven't read it yet....am so glad you posted this review because it's the kick in the butt I needed to get to reading this series!