Sunday, December 20, 2009

Our Mutual Read (2010 Challenge)


Usually, I just mention challenges on my Behind-the-Scenes blog, but now and then I get so *very, very* excited about a new challenge, that I can't help mentioning it here too. Such is the case with Our Mutual Read. It is for reading Victorian literature. (Though neo-victorian is okay too, within limits). Anyway, it sounds super-fun. I'll be participating at level 2. I really want to say level three. But I'm afraid that may just be enthusiasm talking. (I think I approach reading challenges like I do pizza at the buffet.) So level two is where I'll be. For now at least!

~ Level 2: 8 books, at least 4 written during 1837 - 1901. The other books may be Neo-Victorian or non-fiction.


And I'll be doing the Period Film Mini-Challenge as well.

Period Film Mini-Challenge -- watch at least 6 films that take place between 1837 - 1901 (they don't necessarily have to be based on a book) and post a review.
I hope to read some Trollope, Bronte, and Dickens. And maybe reading other reviews will help me find other authors to try from this period!

What I *PLAN* on reading this year:

  • Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope. (1858)
  • Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope. (1861)

I *really* loved reading the first two books in the Barsetshire series (The Warden, Barchester Towers)

  • Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope. (1865)
  • Phineas Finn by Anthony Trollope. (1869)

I hope to start the Palliser series this year. I have loved all the Trollope I've read so far. (I've also read The Way We Live Now.)

  • He Knew He Was Right by Anthony Trollope. (1869)

I'll throw in this stand-alone novel as well. I love Trollope so much--he feels like a friend--I don't know if I can honestly get to all five of these Trollopes or not in one year. But we'll see!

  • Miss Majoribanks by Margaret Oliphant (1866)
  • Hester by Margaret Oliphant (1883)

I've not read any of her books before. But I'm looking forward to trying a new-to-me author.

  • Adam Bede by George Eliot (1859)
  • The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (1860)
  • Romola by George Eliot (1863)
  • Felix Holt, The Radical by George Eliot (1866)
  • Daniel Deronda by George Eliot (1876)

I don't know which Eliot I'll get to this year. I read two last year (Middlemarch and Silas Marner) and it would be nice to read a few more this year.

  • Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell (1853)
  • North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (1854-5)
  • Sylvia's Lovers by Elizabeth Gaskell (1863)

These are my three remaining Gaskell novels. I hope to read them this year. (I've read Mary Barton, Cranford, and Wives and Daughters.)

  • Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens (1855-1857)
  • Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens (1864-1865)
  • Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (1837-1839)
  • David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (1849-1850)


Dare I venture into Charles Dickens???? I've always been so intimidated by the books--though not the movies. So maybe I can try again?!

  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (1860)
  • Armadale by Wilkie Collins (1866)
  • The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins (1868)

I do want to read some more Collins. I did enjoy (despite the fact it was so didactic) Man and Wife. I am planning on participating in The Big Read with Leila of Bookshelves of Doom for The Woman in White.

January 6: The First Epoch: The Story Begun by Walter Hartright, Chapters I-VIII

January 8: Walter Hartright, Chapters IX-XV

January 11: The Story Continued by Vincent Gilmore; The Story Continued by Marian Halcombe

January 13: The Second Epoch: The Story Continued by Marian Halcombe, Chapters I-V

January 15: Marian Halcombe, Chapters VI-X; Postscript

January 18: The Story Continued by Frederick Fairlie, Esq.; The Story Continued by Eliza Michelson

January 20: The Story Continued in Several Narratives (This is a really short section, which will allow for any needed catching up.)

January 22: The Third Epoch: The Story Continued by Walter Hartright, Chapters I-VI

January 25: Walter Hartright, Chapters VII-XI

January 27: The Story Continued by Mrs. Catherick; The Story Continued by Walter Hartright, Chapters I-VII

January 29: The Story Continued by Isidor, Ottavio, Baldassare Fosco; The Story Concluded by Walter Hartright, Chapters I-III


And now for the Brontes...

  • Shirley by Charlotte Bronte (1849)
  • Vilette by Charlotte Bronte (1853)
  • The Professor by Charlotte Bronte (1857)
  • Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte (1847)
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (1848)
I've read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights.

And last but not least, just one more to add (so far):

  • Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (1862)

This would be a new-to-me author, but it looks like a good read!


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Amanda Roper said...

I'm excited by all the reading prospects. And I'm super excited that you're excited!