Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Evil Under the Sun

Evil Under the Sun. Agatha Christie. 1940/2006. Black Dog & Leventhal. 224 pages.

When Captain Roger Angmering built himself a house in the year 1782 on the island off Leathercombe Bay, it was thought the height of eccentricity on his part. A man of good family such as he was should have had a decorous mansion set in wide meadows with, perhaps, a running stream and good pasture.

Will Hercule Poirot ever vacation in peace? He doesn't get that opportunity in Evil Under the Sun. He may be on vacation at the Jolly Roger, a hotel resort, but the warning signs are there. Murder is probably inevitable as tensions rise between hotel guests. The victim is Mrs. Arlena Stuart Marshall. The suspects? Well, principally her husband, Captain Kenneth Marshall, her lover, Patrick Redfern, the angry wife, Christine Redfern, and the angry step-daughter, Linda Marshall. Of course, there are other guests at the hotel, but these are the ones with possible motives.

I am still enjoying Agatha Christie. I am still finding myself surprised by her revelations. (Some books there is more of a surprise than others!) But this one wasn't my favorite Hercule Poirot.

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Playing Librarian said...

I enjoy Agatha Christie once in a while. I enjoyed Evil Under the Sun but I'm with you.. it's not one of my favorites.

Here's my review.
http://www.playinglibrarian.com/2011/01/review-evil-under-sun-by-agatha.html

Rahul N said...

Good Collection of novels/ebooks >>

http://rahulme.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/ebooks-collection/