Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sunday Salon: Watching Holiday Inn (1942)

Holiday Inn is one of my favorite, favorite Christmas movies. There are so many magical things about it. While there are two or three scenes that I don't like, for the most part, it is a great film, a great romantic holiday film.  It stars Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds, and Virginia Dale. It has many song-and-dance numbers. Jim Hardy, Ted Hanover, and Lila Dixon are in show business. Jim is supposed to marry Lila and settle down. But, after his "last show" on Christmas/Christmas Eve, he learns that Lila is breaking off their engagement, she's "in love" with Ted and wants to stay in show business. Jim becomes a farmer for a year until he gets the brilliant idea to open Holiday Inn, a place open on holidays. Linda Mason--who can sing and dance--is his first discovery. Jim singing "White Christmas" to her, telling her it's the song he would have sung tonight if the inn had been open that night, is easily one of the most magical scenes. I just LOVE Bing Crosby singing White Christmas! But all does not go smoothly for Jim and Linda, for soon Ted Hanover comes around...his dance partner, Lila left him for another man. Now Linda is destined to be the love of his life...but not if Jim has anything to say about it. I love the songs, "I'll Capture Her Heart," "Easy to Dance With," "Happy Holidays," "White Christmas," "Be Careful It's My Heart," and "Easter Parade." Some of the other holiday-themed songs (Washington's birthday, Lincoln's birthday, 4th of July, etc.) didn't wow me, but, still the film is definitely worth watching! I just LOVE the ending. It is oh-so-magical!

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

DesLily 12:32 PM  

pretty sad that they can't seem to make movies like that anymore. :o(

Alex 8:04 AM  

This is also one of my favorite holiday movies. I tend to like the older ones more than the newer movies, though I still love the first Home Alone.

Have you ever seen Holiday with Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant?

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP