Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Escape from Baxters' Barn

Escape from Baxters' Barn. Rebecca Bond. 2015. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 256 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I enjoyed reading Escape from Baxters' Barn. Burdock, the 'hero' of the book, happens to hear an argument in the house. He reports the shocking truth of what he heard to the other barn animals later that day. While a few animals hold out hope for a day or two that maybe just maybe the situation isn't all that bad, it soon becomes clear that it IS that bad. The animals will have to seriously brainstorm and work together if they want to survive.

There is a certain intensity to Escape from Baxters' Barn. While readers may think it unlikely for the book to end in a disaster, the book is plotted so intensely that one gets caught up in worrying. I'll clarify. That was my personal experience. I was getting nervous, and I felt the need to check and double-check the ending to make sure that I wasn't going to regret picking it up!!! If I didn't have the ability to CHEAT when reading animal books, I'm not sure I'd ever pick one up and read it.

I liked the characters. I liked all the animals. And I liked how it all came together.

I don't always think of books to pair with another book, but in this case, it just came naturally. I would recommend Arthur, For the Very First Time by Patricia MacLachlan and Charlotte's Web by E.B. White.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: