Thursday, November 10, 2016

Nanette's Baguette

Nanette's Baguette. Mo Willems. 2016. Disney-Hyperion. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Nanette! Today is a day Nanette won't soon forget. Today, in the kitchenette, Mom tells Nanette, that Nanette gets to get the baguette!

Premise/plot: Set in a French village, Nanette's Baguette stars a couple of frogs. Nanette is being trusted with a great responsibility: going to the bakery to get a baguette all by herself. Can she handle it? Maybe. Maybe not. But what really sets this one apart is the excessive rhyming. Willems' teases readers with how many words and phrases he can work into the story that rhymes with baguette. The odd thing is, that most of them are woven into the story in a way that works. (I don't think all of them do).

My thoughts: I'm trying to be objective here. If it wasn't written by Mo Willems, what would I honestly think of this one?! I think I would probably like but maybe not love it. I think I would appreciate the fun rhyming. (I do love a good rhyming book with great flow!) But I don't think I'd necessarily be gushing that this is the best book the world has ever seen.

That being said. NEW MO WILLEMS. If I wasn't gluten-sensitive, I could totally relate to Nanette and her Mom giving into temptation and EATING the baguettes before they got home.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10


© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: