Sunday, November 27, 2016

The Christmas Story

The Christmas Story. Robert Sabuda. 2016. Candlewick. 12 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Long ago, in the town of Nazareth, there lived a young woman named Mary. She was soon to marry a carpenter named Joseph. God sent an angel to her with a message: "Hail, Mary! The Lord is with you. Do not be afraid. Soon you will have a baby, named Jesus, who will be the Son of God." "Let it be as you have told me," Mary said. "I am the servant of the Lord."

Premise/plot: The Christmas Story is Robert Sabuda's newest pop-up book. The story may be familiar, even too familiar, to some. But it's a story that is timeless. The pop-ups are quite detailed and though done simply--only in white and gold--they are indeed 'exquisite.'

My thoughts: I liked it. I do think Robert Sabuda's pop up books are more for older readers--like adults--than younger readers. But I think if young readers are careful, they can get a lot from this story as well.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10


© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: