Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Turning One is Fun, Fun, Fun

Becky's Book Reviews is officially one year old today! I remember starting the blog with such passion and hope. And it has really exceeded all my expectations. I still can't believe that that I have over five hundred posts--although I've always known I loved to talk. (Amend that to like to write. I have to know you to talk that much in person.) But I do feel like I have gotten to know a lot of people through the year. And I am so happy, and so thankful for everyone that has made this year such an enjoyable one. I've loved participating in carnivals. I've loved doing challenges. I've loved all the memes. And I do appreciate each and every comment that has come my way. But most of all I've loved the opportunity to share all these wonderful books with you. Reading is my passion, and now blogging is too.

I am happy to begin this next year of blogging with the announcement of the Cardathon Challenge. I hope this next year is twice as much fun.

I would like to thank these authors for sending me their books to review. I haven't quite gotten to all of them yet. (As you can see, there are a LOT so please continue to be patient with me.)

Rose Kent, Kimchi & Calamari
Kimberly Brubaker Bradley, The Lacemaker and the Princess
Judy Gregerson, Bad Girls Club
Sarah Beth Durst, Into the Wild
Chris Grey, Leonardo’s Shadow
Aimee Ferris, Girl Overboard
Elizabeth Scott, Bloom
Ruth McNally Barshaw, Ellie McDoodle
Lynn Jonell, Emmy & The Incredible Shrinking Rat
Linda Collison, Star-Crossed
Kyra Hicks, Martha Ann’s Quilt for Queen Victoria
Loretta Ellsworth, In Search of Mockingbird
Crissa-Jean Chappell, Total Constant Order
L. Diane Wolf, Mike
Paula Miller, One-eyed Jack
Karen Day, Tall Tales
Rebecca Stead, First Light
Shelia Ruth, The Dark Dreamweaver
Stephanie Hale, Revenge of the Homecoming Queen
Chris Grey, Leonardo’s Shadow
Nancy Toomey, From the Abuelas’ Window
Judith Mammay, Knowing Joseph and It’s Time
Ruth Salway, Through Rose Coloured Glasses
Adele Griffin, Vampire Island

And I would like to thank these publishers for sending me ARCs and Review Copies:

Bloomsbury USA
Boyds Mill Press
Candlewick Press
Charlesbridge
Clarion Books
Farrar, Straus, Giroux
Harcourt
Harry N. Abrams
Kane/Miller
Meadowbrook Press
Penguin
Razorbill
Scholastic
Simon & Schuster (Katherine Smyth)
Tundra Books

And there are many people I would like to thank as well:

Dr. Phyllis Bridges for inspiring me during my undergraduate and graduate years. For giving me the confidence to believe in myself and follow my dreams. I couldn't ask for a better mentor.

Dr. Sylvia Vardell for inspiring me in more ways than one. Your book reviewing class did change my life!!! And participating in Librarians Choices is really such a big part of my life now.

Julie Brinker, for being the absolute best friend a girl could even have. For always recommending such great books like A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and Alas, Babylon. My life is so much richer for knowing you.

For Kimberley Lyons, who left me my first comment. But for so much more than that through the years. You are my favorite person to laugh with and shop with. And I love your darling little baby reviewer, Little Miss.

And of course, I appreciate my family--mom, dad, sister, and brother-in-law. And for my Grandma Vaughn who inspired, taught, and showed my mom everything she knows about reading books your whole life through. Mom, goodness knows, there wouldn't be a blog without her. She had me hooked to reading before I could walk or crawl. How can you adequately thank a person for giving such an incredible gift? The least I can do is blog about her now and then.

And there are many many more. Many bloggers who leave comments regularly and show their support and loyalty. I really do appreciate it :)

10 comments:

1morechapter said...

Congrats on your first blogiversary!

Michelle
1morechapter.com

soleil said...

congratulations on one year!

Paige Y. said...

Congratulations! You're blogs are one of the things that inspired me to create my own blog (although I'll never be able to read with the speed you do). I can't wait to read more reviews in the future!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Becky!! Your blog is my favorite and one of the few that I MUST read every day!! I also wanted to thank you for the info on Clean Reads...I'll be a contributor from now on :-)

Erin said...

Happy bloggiversary, Becky! Your blog has been such a blessing to me, it's one of my favorites. :)

Becky said...

Thanks for all the kind words, I do appreciate it :) Paige, I'm so glad I *inspired* you. Your site is good, and I enjoy reading your reviews whenever I get a chance. You do have good taste in books :) Amanda, I check your blog every single day. It's both a habit and obsession. :) Same with you, Erin, I look forward to reading yours as well.

Kyra said...

Becky, Congratulations on your first anniversary!! Thank you for the reviews and insights -

Best, Kyra
www.BlackThreadsinKidsLit.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Congrats Becky! Now go celebrate.

Ruth McNally Barshaw said...

Congrats, Becky!
~i~
WW
That's an ASCII cupcake with one candle. ;)
Ruth

Anonymous said...

A belated happy anniversary. It's funny - I feel like I've been reading your blog for much longer than a year. Love how you wrapped up the year!