Saturday, August 26, 2017

Plankton is Pushy

Plankton is Pushy. Jonathan Fenske. 2017. Scholastic. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Why, hello, Mister Mussel! I said, "HELLO, MISTER MUSSEL!" Well, that is just RUDE! Let me tell you how this works.

Premise/plot: When Plankton greets "Mister Mussel" and doesn't get a response, well, Plankton gets PUSHY. Also frustrated, exasperated, and sarcastic. Will Mister Mussel open his mouth and speak? Will Plankton really want him to when all is said and done?

My thoughts: For readers--young and old--who like picture books with twist-endings, this is a fun treat. I'd also recommend it to anyone who read and loved Barnacle is Bored. I think if you enjoyed the first book, you'll probably like this one as well. I haven't quite figured out how to voice Plankton, but, I'm going to guess that it can be done and done well. (Maybe not by me...but we'll see. Barnacle is Bored is one of my favorite read alouds.)

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: