Saturday, April 28, 2018

Me? Listen to Audio? #16

This week I listened to TWO very different audio dramas. One was a comedy; the other a tragedy.

The Idiot. Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Adapted by Melissa Murray for BBC Radio 4 in 2002. 4 one hour episodes.

Starring Paul Rhys as Prince Myshkin, Alex Jennings ad Ganya, Roger Allam as Rogazhin, Lia Williams as Natasya, David Swift as General Yepanchin and Paula Jacobs as Mrs. Yepanchin.

I found THE IDIOT to be a compelling drama. Especially at the beginning. I soon found myself hooked. It became increasingly melodramatic and dark. The radio drama probably reduces the number of 'main' characters. Probably. I didn't find it difficult to follow along with at all. Which may or may not be surprising. (I have never finished the book. I did start the book last year, but turned it back into the library.) I now have it checked back out.

What should you expect????? AN UNHAPPY ENDING.

The Warden. Anthony Trollope. Dramatised by Michael Symmons Roberts. 1 hr. 28 minutes.

Mrs Baxter .... Maggie Steed
Mr Harding .... Tim Pigott-Smith
Bishop Grantly .... Andrew Sachs
Eleanor .... Claire Price
John Bold .... Bryan Dick
Archdeacon Grantly .... Malcolm Sinclair
Susan Grantly .... Charlotte Emmerson
Mary Bold .... Georgie Fuller
Bunce .... Sean Murray
Abel Handy .... Nick Brimble
Tom Towers .... David Seddon
Directed by Susan Roberts
Produced by Charlotte Riches

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this one. I really do love Trollope. I was expecting this to be good--great even. I wasn't expecting it to be oh-so-magical. 

Barchester Towers. Anthony Trollope. Dramatised by Nick Warburton. Three one hour episodes.

Mrs BaxterMaggie Steed
Mr HardingTim Pigott-Smith
Eleanor BoldClaire Price
Archdeacon GrantlyMalcolm Sinclair
Obidiah SlopeRichard Lumsden
Bishop ProudieJames Lailey
Mrs ProudieJoanna Monro
Madeline NeroniKatherine Parkinson
BertieJoel MacCormack
1st ClergymanJoel MacCormack
Mrs QuiverfulCarolyn Pickles
Dr StanhopeJohn Norton
DirectorMarion Nancarrow
AdaptorNick Warburton
AuthorAnthony Trollope

 I definitely enjoyed listening to this drama based on the second book in the Barchester series. The drama captured some of my all-time favorite scenes!!! It wasn't as enjoyable listening to it as WATCHING the film adaptation. But it was great fun all the same.

What you should expect:  A HAPPY-HAPPY ENDING.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: