Wednesday, October 23, 2019

World at War: Blood Alone

Blood Alone (Billy Boyle #3) James R. Benn. 2008. 313 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I was hot, and my head hurt.

Premise/plot: Blood Alone is the third novel in James R. Benn’s historical mystery series starring police detective turned soldier Billy Boyle. The war has taken Billy far from Boston. He now finds himself in Sicily ahead of the invasion. There’s only one little problem: he finds himself in the hospital with multiple injuries and no memories. Yes, our hero has amnesia, but danger and adventure won’t wait. Threats abound and a mission awaits. Billy Boyle must get back to solving murders if he’s to stay alive.

The book opens with a quote: “Blood alone moves the wheels of history.” This quote provides Billy Boyle much food for thought throughout the novel.

My thoughts: I have read and enjoyed all three books in the series. This one may just be my favorite so far. I loved the introspective nature of the narrative. I loved the suspense and action. This one unlike book two kept me guessing and provided enough twists and turns. I found the story captivating and well written.
© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: