Tuesday, February 11, 2020

25. Solemn Graves

Solemn Graves. (Billy Boyle #13) James R. Benn. 2018. 340 pages. [Source: Library] [Historical; Mystery; Adult Fiction; World War II]

First sentence: The first dead body I saw in Normandy was a cow, tangled in the branches of a shattered tree at a crossroads by the edge of a field, a good thirty feet off the ground.

Premise/plot: Solemn Graves is the thirteenth historical mystery in the Billy Boyle series. This one is set in the summer of 1944 in France. Billy is investigating a murder in a farmhouse, Major Jerome. But his investigation is also about making sure that the super super top secret ghost army unit stays secret. As with most Boyle mysteries, it doesn’t stay one murder but becomes a handful of murders. Helping him out is Big Mike, Kaz, and even Diana!!!!

My thoughts: I definitely love the series. I do. I love, love, love the characters and the relationships. I love the details, learning more about various aspects of the war itself. I can appreciate the author’s note at the end of each book. This is a solid read, a compelling one. It may not be my absolute favorite and best in the series, but it’s good, very good.


© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: