Monday, September 06, 2021

106. Hollow Chest


Hollow Chest. Brita Sandstrom. 2021. 352 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The scream of the air raid siren cut off abruptly when Charlie opened his eyes, like a hand had come down to strangle it.

Premise/plot: The war is almost but the war wolves are still hungry. Charlie, our protagonist, is one of the few who has never been to war himself yet can see plainly and clearly the war wolves. His brother, Theo, has newly returned home. But Charlie feels that he has a hollow chest (hence the title). His talking with the war wolves confirms this--his heart was eaten by a hungry war wolf and there is nothing Charlie can do with it. No good intentions, no amount of bravery, no dashing dares--once eaten a heart is gone forever. Yet that won't stop Charlie from trying--along with his cat Biscuits--to "save" his brother, Theo, and heal the family.

My thoughts: I personally wanted more realism and less fantasy. I guess when I started this one I wasn't really aware that it actually was a fantasy novel set in in the actual world at the end of the second world war. For readers who enjoy fantasy novels--with strong story elements--with just a touch of the real world, this may be a great match.

I thought the characters were well done. I especially loved Charlie and his family. I loved that Charlie needed stories like he needs air to breathe. I loved hearing all the different stories his family told him. I did like Charlie visiting another soldier, Reggie. I thought that relationship was well done. In some ways, I almost think there was more of a bond between Reggie and Charlie--two strangers before the start of the book--then Theo and Charlie.

The book is DEPRESSING. You know how some books paint a picture of an almost impossible journey with huge risks and little chance of any for success. But there's courage and bravery and resilience and the writing is super amazing. And more often than not, the character beats the odds--no matter how impossible--so that even if there is sacrifice and hardship and pain and suffering there is redemption and a modified happily ever after???? This isn't that kind of book. The book is DEPRESSING and BLEAK.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: