Monday, September 13, 2021

112. The Shape of Thunder


The Shape of Thunder. Jasmine Warga. 2021. [May] 288 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I like learning things. Especially about math and science, because they help explain why the world is the way it is. A famous mathematician once said, “Mathematics is the music of reason.” I’ve always believed that. The best thing about math is that it makes sense. The actual best thing about math is that everything adds up, all neat and in order.

Premise/plot: Cora and Quinn were best, best friends. But they haven't spoken to each other in months--almost a year. Quinn is at a loss for words knowing that there simply aren't any that would suffice. And Cora? Well, Cora doesn't want to hear anything Quinn has to say. How could she? Something is keeping these two apart--and time alone will tell if these two can find a way back in each other's lives.

Quinn becomes fixated with the idea of time travel. If she could just go back in time and STOP the events of that one fateful day then maybe life would be "fixed" again and everyone could move forward. But if she's going to invent a way to time travel, well, she'll need help. And who better than Cora? She's smart and motivated. Cora may want to time travel just as much as she does.

But how do two girls forever-united, forever-separated invent a way to go back in time????

My thoughts: The Shape of Thunder traces the after-effects of a school shooting. Quinn's brother, Parker, was the shooter. Cora's sister, Mabel, one of his victims. Both are gone now. Yet Cora and Quinn still live next door to each other...forever reminded of how things used to be and how things can never be again.

It is told in alternating chapters. I will say that I thought Cora's family was way more developed than Quinn's family. The characterization is excellent but a bit uneven. I really loved, loved, loved Cora's family--her father and grandmother. Quinn's family isn't that developed--bare bones and more stereotypical than not. I felt that Quinn was very isolated--and not by choice. In a way, this makes Quinn more sympathetic than she might otherwise be. It is easy to pity her because things have been wrong for years in that household.

It is an emotional read, certainly not for everyone. But definitely one that is well written.

Quotes:

“The shape of thunder,” I repeat. I reach for my notebook, and I scribble the quote. I put asterisks around it, which is what I do whenever I’m taking notes in class and my teacher emphasizes a fact so much that it’s obvious it will be on the next quiz.
There’s a faint ringing in my ears. Thunder. Perhaps this is the thing I’ve been missing.
The shape of thunder. What a strange phrase. It doesn’t quite make sense....
It’s more than contradictory; it’s impossible. A thing that doesn’t actually exist, but possibly could. An impossible thing that could actually be possible.
Like finding a wormhole. Like time travel.
Dad points at my notebook. “You like that, huh?”
My heart is racing, but I’m trying to act cool. “It’s a neat quote.”
Dad gives me a knowing look. “I think so, too.”
I clutch my notebook and the book of poems to my chest. “Dad?”
He startles from whatever thought he was having. “Hm?”
“Thank you for the book,” I say. “And for the . . . story.”
Dad grins wide enough that I can see his front two teeth that are crooked. Mabel used to love to tease him about them, but I’ve always liked the way they are. It’s like I wouldn’t have even known they weren’t straight if it hadn’t been pointed out.
And that’s how I feel about Mom leaving. I want to tell Dad that, but I don’t know how without sounding really strange.

© 2021 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: