Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Best First Lines (2009)


These are the best of the best. The first lines that have stuck with me through the entire year (2009) and left a lasting impression:

When I was five years old, I walked down the aisle with the man of my dreams. Okay, make that boy. He was five, too.

Everyone's seen my mother naked.

Not to brag or anything, but if you saw me from behind, you'd probably think I was perfect.

In the spring, there are vampires in the wind.

Like Moses, Meemaw had ten commandments.

Ours is essentially a tragic age, so we refuse to take it tragically.

In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three. Everyone knows you are the one who will fail first, and worst, if the three of you set out to seek your fortunes.

I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my wife's grave. Then I joined the army. Visiting Kathy's grave was the less dramatic of the two.

Everybody has at least one ugly secret, and mine is as ugly as they come.

Not every thirteen-year-old girl is accused of murder, brought to trial, and found guilty. But I was such a girl, and my story is worth relating even if it did happen years ago.

There is a certain kind of girl the goblins crave.

For months I had wished and wished the baby would be a girl, a little sister. Maybe I shouldn't have wished so hard. A boy might have lived.

----------

First place: I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my wife's grave. Then I joined the army. Visiting Kathy's grave was the less dramatic of the two.

Second place: When I was five years old, I walked down the aisle with the man of my dreams. Okay, make that boy. He was five, too.

Third place: For months I had wished and wished the baby would be a girl, a little sister. Maybe I shouldn't have wished so hard. A boy might have lived.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Shweta said...

I liked the Something Maybe 's opening line and also your choice for the third place. It's a beautiful yet heart breaking line

Anonymous said...

I love this collection! I knew the Something Maybe and have a few of yours on my tbr pile. I love reading great first lines lists, but never think to collect them myself. Great job. Thanks.

bk

Molly said...

I remember this year-end post last year and absolutely loved it. I was hoping that it was an annual event.

Thanks so much for keeping such amazing records of your year-long reading.

I wish you a joyous and prosperous New Year, Becky!

Amy said...

Wow! These are great! I never thought to collect first lines like this.

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

I loved Old man's war(and I read it all because of your review)!

Great first lines collection!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I adore the first line of Goblin Fruit - and the rest of the lines too!

Rachel said...

I loved Charlotte Doyle!