Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Human.4 (YA)

Human.4 Mike A. Lancaster. 2011. Egmont USA. 240 pages.

When Danny Birnie told us that he had hypnotized his sister we all though he was mad. Or lying. Or both.

Our narrator, Kyle Straker, is living in a strange, strange world where he and three others have suddenly become irrelevant. It started when he volunteered at a local talent show to be hypnotized. It wasn't that he wanted to volunteer, just that in a moment of weakness he had pity on Danny while he was doing his act. His former girlfriend, Lilly, also happened to volunteer just about the same time he did. Two adults, Mrs. O'Donnell and Mr. Peterson, also volunteered. All were hypnotized. All woke up in this strange, strange new reality.

This book is part science fiction, part horror, and part mystery. It was a quick read! I liked it. I wouldn't say I loved it. But for a quick premise-driven read, it was a good choice.

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Debi said...

Ooooh, I think I might have to find this one! Thanks Becky!

quirky girls said...

Interesting premise - that would be horrifying to find yourself in a whole new reality.

I e-mailed you earlier this week - to let you know that you won the Classic Bribe - see post here and please get back to me with the e-mail address you would like me to send the gift card to:

http://quirkygirlsread.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/who-got-paid-to-read-a-classic-this-summer/

-Molly

Anonymous said...

@Molly - I'm not sure how appropriate it is for me to answer this - but, Becky told me she would be out of touch for a while, she mightn't have seen your e-mail; I'm sure she'll get in touch with you when she can.

L.

Trish said...

Sounds creepy. And I love a quick read!