Thursday, September 01, 2011

R.I.P. VI

There are plenty of books I want to read for Carl's R.I.P challenge this year. Not all books will make it to the list--I simply couldn't list them all. And I'm sure there will be a few surprises or 'impulses.' But I do have a vague idea of what I'd like to read this year:

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley*
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte**
The Lifted Veil: The Book of Fantastic Literature by Women 1800-World War II edited and introduced by A. Susan Williams.
Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy Sayers
The Nine Tailors by Dorothy Sayers
Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy Sayers
A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey
Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey
The Francise Affair by Josephine Tey
The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie
Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie
The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side by Agatha Christie
The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Grave Expectations by Sherri Browning Erwin and Charles Dickens
Count Magnus and Other Ghost Stories by M.R. James
The Haunted Doll's House and Other Ghost Stories by M.R. James
Macbeth by William Shakespeare
Kill Shakespeare, Volume 1

*Could I go a year without reading Frankenstein? Maybe? But why would I want to do something like that?! This is one of my favorite, favorite, favorite books!
**I would LOVE to reread Jane Eyre this year!

The review site for sharing links.

Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.


I'm signing up for the first peril--which is four books of any length that qualify.

1. A Pocket Full of Rye. Agatha Christie.
2. A Murder on the Links. Agatha Christie.
3. Human.4 Mike A. Lancaster.
4. The Five Red Herrings. Dorothy L. Sayers.
5. Mister Creecher by Chris Priestly
6. This Dark Endeavor by Kenneth Oppel

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

13 comments:

DesLily said...

Becky, Becky, Becky... I can not believe you haven't read the Woman in White! that's a reread right? lol... you read so much so quickly you must wiz thru RIP !

Becky said...

Deslily, no, the Woman in White isn't a reread--though I did read the first fifty pages once :) I have also seen the old(er) movie adaptation of it.

Anonymous said...

The Woman in White is fantastic. As much as I love Nathaniel Hawthorne, I loathed The House of the Seven Gables.

Nan said...

I think the Nine Tailors might be my most favorite Peter Wimsey, unless it is Murder Must Advertise, or perhaps The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club. :<) Hard to choose.
I joined this year for the first time.

Amanda said...

O man, great classics in the list! Jane Eyre and Frankenstein are two of my favorites two. The Woman in White - AWESOME!! His book Moonstone is cool too.

Kailana said...

I really must get around to The Woman in White myself. I read The Moonstone last year and enjoyed it.

Lalaine said...

WOMAN IN WHITE was awesome! Hope you enjoy that book. I've read that recently and I had a great time!
I've been meaning to read Charles Dickens books. shame!and so far I have failed, but once Im right back on my track I will start reading it. Should be fun fun fun.

LALAINe @ FICBOOKREVIEWS

___x___

DesLily said...

it's hard for me to imagine a book that you haven't read! and I hope you like the woman in white!

Stephanie said...

I hope you enjoy Jane Eyre as much as I did when I read it last year! Happy reading!

chrisa511 said...

Yay :D So glad you're joining in again!!! And there's a few on there that you're sure to add to my list! I just finished A Tale Dark and Grimm for my first read :) I read that one because of you!! Loved it!

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

How about this? I haven't read Frankenstein yet! I'm doing the RIP challenge too. Maybe I'll have time to pick up Frankenstein and actually finish it this time. =O)

I saw the Josephine Tey title on your list. I'm listening to The Daughter of Time right now and really enjoying it.

Marce said...

I'm in also, can't wait. I have Woman in White also not sure if I will read it this year though, we will see.

Debi said...

Your list just seems so classy. :) Hope you have a ton of fun...like it's even possible to not have fun with RIP, huh? :D