Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Future of Us (YA)

The Future of Us. Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler. 2011. Penguin. 356 pages.

I can't break up with Graham today, even though I told my friends I'd do it the next time I saw him. 

I enjoyed this one. I'm not sure I loved it. But I can say that it held my attention. And it made me smile more than once. And it has a very interesting premise.

The Future of Us is narrated by two teens. Emma Nelson and her former best friend Josh Templeton. After a misunderstanding, he tried to kiss her at the movies, these two stopped speaking together. But these two are about to become close again. And all because of AOL.

The year is 1996. Josh has received an AOL CD in the mail. He doesn't have a computer, but Emma does. She has a brand, new computer. A gift from her Dad. She may not have a good relationship with him, but her new computer is awesome.

So. This novel is about what happens when these two discover something puzzling and amazing. After signing in, the computer goes to a facebook sign-in page. Emma and Josh have the opportunity to read their facebook pages....from fifteen years in the future. They get to 'see' who they married, how many children they have, where they work, where they live, who they're friends with. Even what meals they're eating. It seems their future-selves SHARE every little detail about their lives.

But Emma isn't content reading about the future. She wants to change it. Josh isn't so sure that's a good idea. Emma just can't see why Josh always ends up happy and content and drama-free...and why she always ends up unhappy, complaining, worried. No matter where she lives, who she's married to, what job she has or doesn't have.

Can Emma learn how to live in the moment, for the moment? Can Emma learn how to like herself?

The Future of Us is an interesting coming-of-age novel. It's fun and playful, in a way. (Much more so than Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why.)

I think this one will appeal most to adults. To those that were teens in the nineties. If you were in high school around this time, then this one is for you. There are dozens and dozens of references just for you. Things that only you will appreciate it. Like all the references to Crash Into Me. Though it's never mentioned, I wonder if Emma and Josh's children would listen to this lullaby...

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

laxgirl09 said...

i bought this book and read it in less than 48 hours .. such a good book , i love the concept and it was welll put together i love the differing views between Emma and Josh and the ending made me cry it was super cute i def think you should read it !!AMAAZINNG !!

laxgirl09 said...

i bought this book and read it in less than 48 hours .. such a good book , i love the concept and it was welll put together i love the differing views between Emma and Josh and the ending made me cry it was super cute i def think you should read it !!AMAAZINNG !!