Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge. I hope to complete TWO THEMES. For a total of 16 books. I am not sure I can complete two themes. I just know I want to try!!! All books must have a publication date before 1960.
Golden Age Girls: 8 books by female authors OR 8 books with female detectives
1. The Tuesday Club Murders. Agatha Christie. 1932/2007. Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers. 256 pages.
Lady Audley's Secret. Mary Elizabeth Braddon. 1862/1998. Oxford World's Classic. 496 pages.
3. Poirot Investigates. Agatha Christie. 1924/2011. HarperCollins. 256 pages.
4. Mrs. McGinty's Dead. Agatha Christie. 1952/2011. HarperCollins. 272 pages.
5. The Man in the Brown Suit. Agatha Christie. 1924/2012. HarperCollins. 320 pages.
6. One, Two Buckle My Shoe. Agatha Christie. 1940/2011. HarperCollins. 240 pages.
7. The Seven Dials Mystery. Agatha Christie. 1929/2012. HarperCollins. 304 pages.
8. The Secret Adversary. Agatha Christie. 1922/2012. HarperCollins. 352 pages.
Cherchez le Homme: 8 books by male authors OR 8 books with male detectives
1. The Case of the Runaway Corpse. Erle Stanley Gardner. 1954. 210 pages.
2. The Dead Witness: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Detective Stories. Edited by Michael Sims. 2011. Walker & Company. (Late
December 2011). 608 pages.
3. The Mystery of the Blue Train. Agatha Christie. 1928/2011. HarperCollins. 320 pages.
4. The Secret of Chimneys. Agatha Christie. 1925/2012. HarperCollins. 336.
5. Too Many Women. Rex Stout. 1947/1985. Bantam Books. 176 pages.
6. Champagne for One. Rex Stout. 1958/1995. Random House. 224 pages.
7. The Demolished Man. Alfred Bester. 1951. Random House. 245 pages.
8. The Daughter of Time. Josephine Tey. 1951/1995. Simon & Schuster. 208 pages.
Authors I hope to read for the challenge:
Agatha Christie (wikipedia page)
Ngaio Marsh ?
Mary Elizabeth Braddon?
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?
Unread Agatha Christies--that my library has:
Death on the Nile (1937)
The Clocks (1963, would NOT count)
Sleeping Murder (written in the 40s, published after her death)
Death in the Clouds (1935)
Endless Night (1967, would NOT count)
Ordeal by Innocence (1958)
Hallowe'en Party (1969, would NOT count)
Peril at End House (1932, would NOT count)
The Hollow (1946)
Murder in Mesopotamia (1936)
The Tuesday Club Murders (1932)
After the Funerals (1953)
They Came to Baghdad (1951)
Death Comes as the End (1944)
The Labors of Hercules (1947)
Partners in Crime (1929)
Mystery of the Blue Train (1928)
Passenger to Frankfurt (1970, would NOT count)
Unread Josephine Tey
Miss Pym Disposes (1946)
The Francise Affair (1948)
Brat Farrar (1949)
To Love and Be Wise (1950)
The Singing Sands (1952)
Unread Dorothy Sayers:
Lord Peter--The Complete Lord Peter Wimsey Stories. At least 18 or 19 of the twenty stories were published before 1939. (Lord Peter Views the Body, 1928; Hangman's Holiday, 1933; In the Teeth of the Evidence, 1939)
This site might help with finding new-to-me authors.
© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews