Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sunday Salon: Reading The Marvelous Land of Oz (1904)

The Marvelous Land of Oz. L. Frank Baum. 1904. 192 pages.

I definitely enjoyed the second book in L. Frank Baum's Oz series. This second book has some old friends--the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman--and some new friends--Tip, Jack Pumpkinhead, Sawhorse, and Gump. I suppose the "thoroughly educated wogglebug" might count as a friend, he certainly joins the party at some point.

 In this second adventure, readers meet Tip, a young boy, who is running away from a witch, Mombi. He takes with him, Jack Pumpkinhead, a creation (made from wood and a pumpkin) which he brought to life with magical powder. (He also takes the powder with him, and in fact uses it to bring Sawhorse and later Gump to life.)

At some point Tip and his friends learn of a plot to take over the Emerald City. An all-girl rebellion led by General Jinjur is determined to bring down the Scarecrow and take the city. The Scarecrow and his new friends seek help from the Tin Woodman, and so the adventure gets off to a start...

What I like best about both Oz books is the dialogue. I love seeing the characters interact with each other. The characters often have interesting observations to make!

Favorite quotes:
“For although I feel that I know a tremendous lot, I am not yet aware how much there is in the world to find out about. It will take me a little time to discover whether I am very wise or very foolish."
“Well, I cannot claim any great experience in life,' the Saw-Horse answered for himself; 'but I seem to learn very quickly, and often it occurs to me that I know more than any of those around me.' 'Perhaps you do,' said the Emperor; 'for experience does not always mean wisdom." 
“Everything in life is unusual until you get accustomed to it." 
“I think,' said the little Queen, smiling, 'that your friend must be the richest man in all the world.' 'I am,' returned the Scarecrow; 'but not on account of my money. For I consider brains to be far superior to money, in every way. You may have noticed that if one has money without brains, he cannot use it to advantage; but if one has brains without money, they will enable him to live comfortably to the end of days.' 'At the same time,' declared the Tin Woodman, 'you must acknowledge that a good heart is a thing that brains cannot create, and that money cannot buy. Perhaps, after all it is I who am the richest man in all the world.' 'You are both rich, my friends,' said Ozma gently; 'and your riches are the only riches worth having - the riches of content!'  

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Carissa (Regency Woman) said...

It's an interesting book although I got the feeling that the Emerald City has actual emeralds in it. In the first book didn't it glow green only because of the glasses? Plus, I remember Glinda giving the golden cap back to the king of the flying monkeys once they completed the tasks for her. She didn't keep it to enslave them.

Ah well, they're entertaining anyway, even if little details don't quite match up. *laughs*

I'm reading the series right now, same as you. I think Ozma of Oz is next and I'm especially fond of that one. I've read at least twice before, but none of the others for some reason. I LOVE how Amazon has all of the books for free in ebook form!