Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pride and Prejudice and Kitties (2013)

Pride and Prejudice and Kitties. Jane Austen, Pamela Jane, and Deborah Guyol. 2013. Sky Horse Publishing. 208 pages. [Source: Library]

"Netherfield Park is marked at last."
The news caused much romping at the Bennet household for, as every cat knows, a handsome young tom in possession of his own territory must be in want of a mate.
"What a fine thing it would be for any of our five kittens to catch a rich mouse--I mean spouse," said Mrs. Bennet. (1)

Pride and Prejudice and Kitties is a fun, cute adaptation of an Austen classic. It was just the right length too. If the chapters had been longer, it might have grown tiresome. As it was, it was perfect. Just enough dialogue, just enough change of scenery. So the adaptation imagines all the characters as cats, as you probably guessed. And I thought it was just clever enough.

I liked this one. I would definitely recommend it to cat-lovers and Austen-lovers!

Favorite moments:
"We are not in a way to know what Mr. Bingley likes," sniffed Mrs. Bennet, "since we are not to visit."
"But you forget, Mama," said Elizabeth, "that we shall frolic with him at the assemblies."
At that moment, Kitty began coughing up a hairball.
"Not another hairball, Kitty, for heaven's sake!" cried Mrs. Bennet. "Have a little compassion on my poor nerves!" (3)

"If a cat conceals her affection with the same skill from the object of it, she may lose the opportunity of securing a home. Who will want to pet and pamper such a cat?" she said. "Jane should therefore make the most of every half hour in which they are playing or napping to command his attention." (13)

"All cats accomplished! My dear Charles, what do you mean?"
"Yes, all of them, I think. They all walk across fresh paint, making delightful paw marks, stretch out full-length on a table, obstructing their owners' plans, and claw net purses to pieces."
"Oh! Certainly," cried Caroline, "a cat must have a thorough knowledge of purring, yowling, and leaping...and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her hair and manner of stalking."
"And to all this," added Mr. Darcy, "she must yet add extensive napping."
"I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished cats," said Elizabeth. "I rather wonder now at your knowing any!" (21)

"Almost as soon as I entered the house, I singled you out as the companion of my future life," he assured Lizzy solemnly. "Twice," continued he, "has Lady Cat condescended to meow pointedly on this subject; and it was but the very Saturday night before I left Hunsford--while we batted about a spool of thread--that she said, "Mr. Collins, you must marry. Choose properly, choose a pure-bred for my sake; and for your own, let her be an active, useful sort of cat, able to make a small rodent go a good way. This is my advice. Find such a creature as soon as you can, bring her to Hunsford, and I will visit her." (56)
In Lydia's imagination, the dazzling prospect of Brighton afforded every possibility of earthly pleasure...she saw the beaches crowded with sleek, handsome toms. (126)
© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: