Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sunday Salon: Reading Now We Are Six (1927)

Now We Are Six. A.A. Milne. 1927. 101 pages. [Source: Library]

While I don't absolutely love, love, love Milne's two poetry collections as much as I love his two Pooh novels, I do appreciate them. My favorite poems from Now We Are Six include:
  • Busy
  • Binker
  • Us Two
  • The Engineer
  • The End
From Busy
I think I am a Muffin Man. I haven't got a bell.
I haven't got the muffin things that muffin people sell.
Perhaps I am a Postman. No, I think I am a Tram.
I'm feeling rather funny and I don't know what I am--
BUT
Round about
And round about
And round about I go--
All around the table,
The table in the nursery--
Round about
And round about
And round about I go;
I think I am a Traveller escaping from a Bear;
I think I am an Elephant,
Behind another Elephant
Behind another Elephant who isn't really there...
 From Binker
Binker--what I call him--is a secret of my own,
And Binker is the reason why I never feel alone.
Playing in the nursery, sitting on the stair,
Whatever I am busy at, Binker will be there.
Oh, Daddy is clever, he's a clever sort of man,
And Mummy is the best since the world began,
And Nanny is Nanny, and I call her Nan--
But they can't
See
Binker.
From Us Two
Wherever I am, there's always Pooh,
There's always Pooh and Me.
Whatever I do, he wants to do,
"Where are you going today?" says Pooh:
"Well, that's very odd, 'cos I was too.
Let's go together," says Pooh, says he.
"Let's go together," says Pooh.
© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

JaneGS said...

I absolutely loved this book as a child--it was read to me, I read it and reread it.

I loved the pictures. The poems are hardwired into my brain, I think.

I've always felt a poignancy in the aloneness of Christopher Robin. A boy and his stuffed animals and his imagination for company.