Sunday, May 04, 2014

Three New-ish Board Books

Hide and Seek Harry Around the House. Kenny Harrison. 2014. Candlewick. 20 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Harry is our best friend. Hide-and-seek is always on his mind. He tries so hard to hide--and he thinks he's tough to find. Is he in the kitchen?

I enjoyed this one! Harry is a hippo who loves, loves, loves to play hide and seek with his friends. In this adventure, Harry and the little boy and girl who love him are playing hide and seek around the house. Harry has many hiding places, but he always seems oh-so-easy to find!

I liked this one. I liked the art. It was very cute. I think one of my favorites was seeing Harry hiding up a tree in the yard!

Hide and Seek Harry At the Beach. Kenny Harrison. 2014. Candlewick 20 pages. [Source: Review copy]

At the beach with Harry...we play hide-and-seek! While Harry goes to hide, we promise not to peek. Is he on the sand dunes? Is he in the sea? Where, oh, where can Harry be?

I enjoyed this one! This time Harry and his friends are at the beach playing together. Harry loves, loves, loves to play hide and seek, even at the beach! Here he has an almost endless amount of places to hide. Will he do a better job of hiding in this adventure? One thing is for certain, Harry and his friends will always enjoy being together!

I liked this one. These two books are good fun. I definitely recommend them both.

Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree. Eileen Christelow. 1991/2014. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 12 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Five little monkeys and their mama walk down to the river for a picnic supper. Mama spreads out a blanket and settles down for a snooze...while five little monkeys climb a tree to watch Mr. Crocodile. 
Five little monkeys, sitting in a tree, tease Mr. Crocodile, "Can't cat me!"
Along comes Mr. Crocodile...
SNAP!

I like this one. I'm not sure I love it. There are so very many books in this series, some worth reading again and again, and others not so much. This one is fun, and it stars Mr. Crocodile. The part I enjoyed best in this story is Mr. Crocodile's snapping! As you've probably guessed this is repeated again and again until there are no more monkeys left to tease them. But. Careful readers, really careful readers who pay attention to every single detail in the illustrations, will guess before the big reveal, that all the monkeys are safe after all.

Do you have a favorite book in this series?

© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: