Saturday, March 14, 2015

Hoot Owl Master of Disguise (2015)

Hoot Owl Master of Disguise. Sean Taylor. Illustrated by Jean Jullien. 2015. Candlewick. 48 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Watch out! I am Hoot Owl! I am hungry. And here I come!

Premise/Plot: Hoot Owl is HUNGRY, very, very HUNGRY. He's a bit proud that he's a master of disguise. Surely by using his disguises he can satisfy his hunger, right? He spots his prey, he gets in disguise, and.... Well, you need to read the book!

My thoughts: This one is very well-written. I really liked the text. It's very descriptive:
"The night has a thousand eyes, and two of them are mine. I swoop through the bleak blackness like a wolf in the air." 
and
"The shadowy night stretches away forever, as black as burnt toast." 
It is also clever and witty in places. It kept me smiling. I won't spoil the surprise, but, I quite liked the ending!

Overall, I definitely liked the text and the illustrations. Have you read this one? What did you think?

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: