Thursday, July 02, 2015

Funny Face, Sunny Face (2015)

Funny Face, Sunny Face. Sally Symes. Illustrated by Rosalind Beardshaw. 2015. Candlewick. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

 First sentence:
Bunny face, sunny face, wake up...
with a funny face!
Bear hair, fair hair,
hardly any there hair.

Premise/plot: A day full of rhymes: morning to evening. This one is all about the rhyme. Also the rhythm, I suppose. But essentially it's a feel-good-to-read-aloud rhyming book for young children. Probably toddlers and preschoolers more than older ones.

My thoughts: This one is a cute book. I liked the rhymes for the most part. There weren't any that didn't work for me. And there were a handful that I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED. For example:
Sticky lips, licky lips
kiss-me-quickly lips.
new teeth,
chew teeth,
only one or
two teeth.
I didn't just love the text of , however. I loved many things about this one. It started charming me from the start. I really LOVE the endpapers of this one. It's a beautiful design. And the illustrations are precious as well.

This one would pair well with the sadly out-of-print Grump which I reviewed earlier this week.

Text: 4.5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4.5 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews


Help Stop TTP,  7:56 PM

You thought SOPA and ACTA were bad? Internet censorship and a stranglehold on what we hold dear. Well, TPP is basically SOPA and ACTA on stereoids and it spans MULTIPLE COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD.

via sl9086
TPP is a multi country trade deal.
The original plan was to force laws that could not be passed in congress: Internet censorship, anti enviroment laws, questionable rules, etc.
bad news: Fast track is signed wich means there is no chance for congress to ammend treaty. All it would take is just 1 yes or no vote.
Good news: We have months still to fight back, we just need to know how and when.

1 - Remember first and foremost, YOU *CAN* MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Don't just sit behind your computer / tablet / phone screen and think ' I'm just one person. I can't do anything'. Even the smallest tidal wave is made up of the smallest drop of water. (many, many drops)
2 -Scroll down. Find the petitions and sign them.
3 - Spread the word everywhere you can to, literally, everyone you know. The more people that know about this and won't stand for this, the better.
4 - Tweet, e-mail, facebook every politician you can find. Tell them that you sure as hell will NOT stand for this.
5 - Remember, if we don't pull together and do SOMETHING, if we don't stand up and make a change, our future will change and NOT for the better.

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by 2008

Back to TOP