Tuesday, July 28, 2015

What's On Your Nightstand (July)


The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.
The Unbelievable Gospel: Say Something Worth Believing. Jonathan Dodson. 2015. Zondervan. 240 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Dodson writes of a culture and society that doesn't believe the gospel, a culture where the gospel is so strange and foreign that it is unbelievable. He encourages readers to rethink how they evangelize. And he does so in a way that does not compromise the truth and the exclusivity of the faith. He is honest in his assessment that people struggle with how to communicate the gospel and face challenges that seem impossible. I'm almost halfway through with this one--and so far I am liking it. It's a very thought-provoking read.

Wouldn't It Be Deadly: An Eliza Doolittle and Henry Higgins Mystery. D.E. Ireland. 2014. St. Martin's Press. 336 pages. [Source: Library]

The first in a new mystery series. I've been reading this one off-and-on for a few weeks now. I never seem to be motivated to read more than a chapter or two at a time. But it has potential. It is Eliza Doolittle and Henry Higgins after all. So I'll keep reading.

Murder on the Bride's Side (Elizabeth Parker #2). Tracy Kiely. 2010. St. Martin's Press. 304 pages. [Source: Library]

I'll be reviewing the first book in the series soon. The heroine, Elizabeth Parker, is an Austen lover. She's attending the wedding of a best friend, and her best friend's family is quite dysfunctional. The wedding will be melodramatic--but will it prove deadly? I am liking but not loving this series. But it's a light read that is amusing enough.

Dissonance. Erica O'Rourke. 2014. Simon & Schuster. 512 pages. [Source: Review copy]

YA speculative fiction. The heroine "walks" between alternate/parallel universes. I'm enjoying it so far.

Bitter Truth. (Bess Crawford #3) 2012. HarperCollins. 368 pages. [Source: Library]

I am loving this mystery series. Bess Crawford is a World War I nurse. The books have depth to them that many mysteries don't manage to have.

A Little In Love. Susan Fletcher. 2015. Scholastic. 288 pages. [Source: Review copy]

 Reading this because I am a big Les Miserables fan. This is a novelization of Eponine's story.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

I love thought-provoking books; The Unbelievable Gospel sounds like such a one. Thanks for telling us about it.

I haven't heard of A Little in Love but I did enjoy reading Les Mis so perhaps I'd like this too.

Barbara H. said...

The Unbelievable Gospel does sound thought-provoking. I'm listening to Pygmalion now - didn't know someone had made a mystery series with the characters! Interesting idea to expand on Eponine's story.

bekahcubed said...

Interesting idea, making a mystery series with Eliza Doolittle and Henry Higgins - I do rather like those characters, do they end up quite like in the musical?

If I were one to judge books by their covers, I would definitely be reading Dissonance - what a beautiful cover!

Becky G said...

So many of these sound terrific, I better read faster to fit these all in! My nightstand is holding the Alexandra's Order series at the moment. I'm almost done and I love it so I am kinda sad it's over! alexandrasorder.com is the site for it, author is Emilia Rutigliano, shes a great writer!