Saturday, October 24, 2015

Duck in the Fridge

Duck in the Fridge. Jeff Mack. 2014. Two Lions. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: "Daddy, why do you always read me Mother Goose before bed?" "Well...it all started when I found a duck in the fridge."

Premise/plot: A young boy asks his dad, WHY, he always reads him Mother Goose every night before bed. Readers probably may not be expecting the explanation they get. Though the title itself is a good indication that the story may just get a little WILD. I won't say too much more because really this too-wild-to-be-believed explanation is more than half the fun of this one.

My thoughts: Did I like it? Yes and no. I'm not sure. Do I have to decide now?! Well, let's see. I liked seeing the dad as a little boy himself. And it was something to see how the story goes from slightly strange to completely BIZARRE in just a few pages. This is a pun-filled book, for better or worse. And it had its gloriously fun moments. I think this one is best shared one-on-one with a child. The text can get a bit busy, same with the art. But it was a spirited, quirky read. Did I like it? I'm still not sure!

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: