Tuesday, October 27, 2015

What's On Your Nightstand (October)


The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.

The Night Gardener. Jonathan Auxier. 2014. Abrams. 350 pages. [Source: Library] 

I am reading The Night Gardener for the third time. I read it twice last year. I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one.

The Old Curiosity Shop. Charles Dickens. 1840/1841. 576 pages. [Source: Bought]

This isn't a fast-moving read for me. But I want to finish it and not abandon it.

A Man Called Peter. Catherine Marshall. 1950. 384 pages. [Source: Bought]

I have read Christy and Julie this year--both novels by Catherine Marshall. I thought I would read this biography too. I think I'll end up really enjoying it.

Brand Luther by Andrew Pettegree. 2015. Penguin. 400 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I've been reading this one for a few weeks. I just don't have enough time to read everything I want to read. At least not in a timely way!!! It seems to take forever to finish some books.

Owen on the Christian Life. Matthew Barrett & Michael A.G. Haykin. 2015. Crossway. 304 pages. [Source: Review copy]

This is another book that seems to be taking forever. But I don't know that it is fair to blame the book. I don't know why exactly the Newton on the Christian Life seemed to be a quick, delightful PRACTICALLY PERFECT IN EVERY WAY read and this book in the same series is moving at such a slow pace. I feel like I need a cheerleader saying, You can do it! Come on, Becky! Pick up the pace!

Exalting Jesus in 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus. David Platt, Dr. Daniel L. Akin, and Tony Merida. 2013. B&H. 336 pages. [Source: Bought]

David Platt wrote the commentary for 1 Timothy which is the section I'm currently reading. I'm enjoying it very much. And I'm just a chapter or two away from finishing the commentary on 1 Timothy. It's great that this commentary features three books. But it might make reviewing it a bit tricky--or at the very least lengthy!!!

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: