Saturday, October 10, 2015

Seuss on Saturday #41

Would You Rather Be A Bullfrog? Theo LeSieg (Dr. Seuss). Illustrated by Roy McKie. 1975. Random House. 36 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Tell me! Would you rather be a Dog...or be a Cat? It's time for you to think about important things like that. 

Premise/plot: The narrator asks readers a long series of questions. All questions are silly--or at the very least playful--but some are sillier than others. Some questions are about which animal you'd rather be. Others are about inanimate objects like...would you rather be a ball or a bat OR would you rather be a door or window.

My thoughts: First time reading this one. Honestly I'm not sure I have a decided opinion on it. I certainly liked it better than I thought I would. But I had low expectations in mind. I wasn't expecting it to be a great find, something I'd been "missing" in my life. It was fun in its way. And I think I liked it well enough. Perhaps it will help me remember the difference between rather and whether.

Have you read Would You Rather Be A Bullfrog? Did you like it? love it? hate it? I'd love to know what you thought of it!

Please Try to Remember the First of Octember. Theo LeSieg (Dr. Seuss). Illustrated by Art Cumings. 1977. Random House. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Everyone wants a big green kangaroo. Maybe, perhaps, you would like to have TWO. I want you to have them. I'll buy them for you... if you'll wait till the first of Octember.

Premise/plot: All your dreams and wishes will come true...on the first of Octember. "You'll get all that you want. You just write out your list. Everyone has an Octember First list. Write slowly now! Don't break your wrist.

My thoughts: Dare I admit I want to write an Octember First list?!?! I had low expectations for this one. I didn't think it would be much of a book. But I really ended up liking it. If you haven't read it yet, you should!

 Have you read Please Try to Remember The First of Octember!? Did you like it? love it? hate it? I'd love to know what you thought of it!

If you'd like to join me in reading or rereading Dr. Seuss (chronologically) I'd love to have you join me! The next book I'll be reviewing is I Can Read With My Eyes Shut.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: