Thursday, December 03, 2015

There's No Such Thing As Little

There's No Such Thing As Little. LeUyen Pham. 2015. Random House. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Everyone says I'm little. I really don't agree. If only they could see what I see when I look at me. There's no such thing as LITTLE.

Premise/plot: A "little" boy and a "little" girl show that there's no such thing as little. The text is simple. The text abounds in questions and surprising answers. For example, "A little snowflake?" "No, a unique snowflake." Or my favorite, "A little idea?" "No, a fantastic idea." The questions all appear on pages with a lot of white space or blank space. And the answers all appear on pages that are bright, bold, beautiful, and FULL. To me these pages speak of joy and life showing indeed that there is no such thing as little.

My thoughts: I like this one. I don't love, love, love it perhaps. But I do like it. I think visually it works well. I love the illustrations, I do. And I love the premise. It's a unique book, and an interesting one. I'm very glad I read it.

I could definitely see this one being a great choice for anyone wanting to try the "whole book approach" to reading picture books WITH children. (Megan Dowd Lambert writes of the whole book approach).

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: