Monday, April 24, 2017

Goin' Someplace Special

Goin' Someplace Special. Patricia McKissack. Illustrated by Jerry Pinkney. 2001. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: 'Tricia Ann was about to burst with excitement.

Premise/plot: Goin' Someplace Special is based on the author's childhood. It is set in Nashville in the 1950s. For younger readers unfamiliar with the way things were before (and during) the Civil Rights movement, this is a lovely introduction. The heroine, Tricia, is going by herself to "someplace special." To get to someplace special, she'll face some obstacles, these obstacles mainly exist because of the color of her skin. But the trip will be worth it. The destination? The public library. Someplace special indeed. An author's note points out that the public library was one of the few places in town that was integrated.

My thoughts: What a lovely book! I remember loving this one when I was in library school which was years before I had a blog to keep track of what I read. I have been wanting to reread it for years, but, I couldn't think of the author or the title. I stumbled across this one recently, and, I'll never let myself forget it again!!!

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10
© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: