Sunday, November 03, 2013

Meet Olive!

Olive And The Big Secret. Tor Freeman. 2012. Candlewick Press.  32 pages. [Source: Library]

Molly told Olive a secret. "You mustn't tell anyone," said Molly. "I will never tell," said Olive. So now Olive had a secret. Olive knew she should keep the secret to herself. She knew she shouldn't tell anyone. But...

I really loved Olive and the Big Secret. Olive may just be a new favorite character of mine. I think it is something--at least--that Olive didn't tell the first person she saw, or even the second person she saw. But the third friend she saw--Joe--well, she just couldn't contain it one minute more! I like how the book follows multiple characters, and how all of Olive's friends "struggle" with keeping this secret--with any secret. I did notice that Olive's friends aren't shown showing any restraint at all in telling. (At least Olive didn't tell Jessie and Ziggy). I also liked it that not everyone who heard the secret cared enough to pass it on!

I would definitely recommend this one! I love the text and the illustrations.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

Olive and the Bad Mood. Tor Freeman. 2013. Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Review Copy]

Olive was in a bad mood. This was not a good day. "Hello, Olive!" said Molly. "Do you want to play dinosaurs with me?" "No," said Olive. "Dinosaurs are for babies."
"They are not!" said Molly. 

Olive is back for a second adventure in Olive and the Bad Mood. In both Olive and the Big Secret and Olive and the Bad Mood, readers need to pay attention to the end papers, for the story starts before the text. I liked seeing Olive again. I liked seeing Olive's friends again! If Olive and The Big Secret is about SPREADING secrets, Olive and the Bad Mood is ALL about spreading grumpiness. Olive's bad mood is definitely contagious! Every friend she meets catches her sourness. What can cure her sourness? How about some sweet, sweet candy?! When Olive passes the candy store, well, she buys something: a bag of giant jelly worms. With the very first bite, it seems, Olive's bad mood has disappeared. The text reads, "What a lovely sunny day! Look at that pretty green bush! Look at those sweet little butterflies!" Now that Olive is happy again, can she do something about her friends?

I really LOVED Olive and the Bad Mood. I think it's a story adults and children can both relate to! I want more Olive books!!!

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: