Thursday, February 08, 2018

Just Dance

Just Dance. Patricia MacLachlan. 2017. 128 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I grew up on a farm, and I'm ten, so I don't know much about love. I know about cattle, chickens, two goats, sheep, and how to ride a horse. But I know love when I see it.

Premise/plot: Sylvie Bloom is an observant young girl who loves to write. She's given a unique opportunity to write for the local newspaper over the summer. Her columns are written in poetry and are inspired by local events. Her spin on country life is refreshing to readers. But as much as she observes, she lacks in understanding. Her big question of the summer: why did her mother stop being a famous opera singer to settle down in the country? How is family enough for her when she's so brilliant?

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. Confession: I have a weakness for Patricia MacLachlan. I've enjoyed most everything of what I've read by her--whether it's contemporary like Just Dance or historical like Sarah, Plain and Tall. I do question the cover, however. I think her mom appears in a prairie-like dress to remind readers, hey, this is by the author of Sarah, Plain and Tall. It just doesn't seem to say contemporary mom who works on a farm.




Do you have a favorite MacLachlan book?

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: