Tuesday, March 06, 2018

What Does Bunny See?

What Does Bunny See? A Book of Colors and Flowers. Linda Sue Park. Illustrated by Maggie Smith. 2005. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: In a cottage garden flowers in their beds Bunny hopping down the path what she sees is--red! Blushing scarlet poppies bloom just above her head. In a cottage garden past the pussy willow Bunny nibbles tender shoots what she sees is--

Premise/plot: This picture book newly reprinted in paperback format is a concept book teaching colors and flowers. It is also a fun way to celebrate spring with little ones.

My thoughts: When I received this one in the mail, I was skeptical. I knew Linda Sue Park was a good author. I've read a few of her novels. But every year there are paperback books published celebrating spring or Easter or the like with text that is mostly, always forgettable. But I ended up LOVING this one. Yes, I used the word love.

I enjoyed the illustrations most of all. I absolutely LOVE the illustrations by Maggie Smith. The text itself is pleasant and enjoyable. It's a rhyming book, a predictable book, a repetitive book. Except for the last spread, each one begins "In a cottage garden...."

Text: 3.5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4.5 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: