|A Good Book by Paul Gustav Fischer, 1905|
Host: Becky's Book Reviews (sign up here)
Duration: December 2018 - December 2019
# of books: Ultimately up to you
The mission: see how many points you can earn reading chunksters in 2019. Can you earn 100 points and get that A+?
Each book will have a point value attached to it. Bonus points are possible so you can earn extra credit to help you get that perfect grade.
E-books do count if their print counterparts are over 450 pages.
Audio books, if unabridged, DO count if their print counterparts are over 450 pages.
If a book is over 450 in large print, but NOT over 450 in regular print, then it doesn't count.
- Middle Grade and Young Adult Novels over 450 pages -- 3 points
- Middle Grade and Young Adult Novels over 700 pages -- 5 points
- Adult Novels over 450 pages -- 5 points
- Adult Novels over 825 pages -- 10 points
- Nonfiction over 450 pages, any age audience -- 5 points
- Anthologies (short stories, plays, essays, sermons, poetry) over 450 pages, any audience, 3 points*
- Omnibus edition of an author's work over 450 pages, 3 points**
- If you complete an entire series and each of the books in the series qualifies as a chunkster, you earn an additional bonus point.
- If you read four or more (series OR non-series books) by the same author--each one qualifying as a chunkster--you earn an additional bonus point.
- If you read a chunkster that has been translated into English, you earn an additional bonus point.
- If you read two or more new-to-you authors, you earn an additional bonus point.
- For every chunkster classic you read that was published before 1800, you earn an extra two points.
- For every chunkster classic you read that was published before 1900, you earn an extra one point.
- If you choose to make a list, you can give yourself an extra point every time you finish a book from the list.
**This is assuming that the individual novels within the omnibus do not qualify as chunksters on their own. For an omnibus to count, you must read the whole book. It only counts as one book. If it is an omnibus edition and the individual novels within the omnibus DO qualify as chunksters on their own, then you may decide if you want to count them as individual books or as one book.
Sign up by leaving a comment.
A blog is not required. But if you don't have a place to write about what you read, do leave comments on the quarterly check-up posts to let us know how you're doing on the challenge. (March 30, June 29, September 28, and December 28th.)
© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews