Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Sprinkle Sundays #1 Sunday Sundaes

Sunday Sundaes. (Sprinkle Sundays #1) Coco Simon. 2018. Simon & Schuster. 160 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: A hot August wind lifted my brown hair and cooled the back of my neck as I waited for the bus to take me to my new school. I hoped I was standing in the right spot. I hoped I was wearing the right thing. I wished I were anywhere else.

Premise/plot: When Allie returns from summer camp she learns that her parents are divorcing. She'll be moving with her mom and brother. It's just one town away, but it means she'll see less of her dad, less of her best, best friends (Tamiko and Sierra), and that she'll have to start a new school. If there's a plus to this news it's that her mom will be leaving her old job and starting her dream job. Her mom will be opening an ice cream parlor. Will Allie make new friends? Can she stay in touch with her old friends? Are her parents telling her the truth when they promise that things will be better now than ever before?

My thoughts: I liked this one. I did. Allie loves, loves, loves to read. She loves the library. She's not socially awkward--not in a true sense of the word, she just didn't find her people right away at the new school. Or should I say her KINDRED SPIRITS. Allie's a great kid--who wouldn't want to be her friend?

I really like the premise of this series. Each Sunday, Sierra, Tamiko, and Allie will work together at her mom's ice cream parlor.

The book has a cozy feel to it.

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

My students really like these books, and so do I. I love books where Girls Are Doing Something, and the friendship drama is very true to life.