Tuesday, March 10, 2020

38. An American Plague

An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793. Jim Murphy. 2003. 165 pages. [Source: Library] [nonfiction, mg nonfiction; history]

First sentence: The sun came up, as it had every day since the end of May, bright, hot, and unrelenting.

Premise/plot: An American Plague is an award-winning nonfiction narrative about the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The setting is Philadelphia. The characters are many; there isn’t one point of view. Though readers do spend some time focusing on one of Philadelphia’s most prominent (and opinionated) doctors, Benjamin Rush. It is well researched and provides young readers plenty of details.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I didn’t love, love, love nonfiction as a child, but to be fair nonfiction has come a long, long way since I was a child. Also perhaps my interests have matured a bit too.

I would recommend this one to kids that enjoy history, or enjoy nonfiction, or enjoy medical thrillers. It is hard to know with certainty what makes a book or subject appealing.

I have really enjoyed all the Jim Murphy books I have read


© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: