Thursday, March 12, 2020

40. The Night Gardener

The Night Gardener. Jonathan Auxier. 2014. 350 pages. [Source: Library] [mg fiction; ya fiction; mg historical; ya historical; mg speculative fiction; ya speculative fiction]

First sentence: The calendar said early March, but the smell in the air said late October.

Premise/plot: Molly and her brother Kip are orphans (shhh! don’t tell Kip) desperate for work. Hence why they accepted this job at a super spooky, stuff-of-nightmares estate. Molly will cook, clean, organize, manage everything. Kip will garden. But from day one there are warning signs that something is amiss, that in fact something wicked this way comes. Will Molly and Kip survive this job?!

My thoughts: I have read this one so many times that I have lost count. I know I read it twice the year it came out, 2014. This has become one of my absolute favorite novels. It just gets better and better every time I revisit it. Perhaps my reviews get worse as I have already said it all?! I know there is nothing I can say that will actually do the book justice. It’s a lovely, delightful, well written, atmospheric coming of age novel set in Victorian England. It’s creepy, haunting, character-driven AND premise-driven. If you could have ANYTHING you want in exchange for a drop of your soul, would you risk it?!?!?!


© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

R's Rue said...

Sounds good.