Tuesday, July 20, 2021

64. Red Wolf


Red Wolf. Rachel Vincent. 2021. [July] 368 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: The dark wood moaned—a deep, eerie sound that was more than just the groan of shifting tree limbs. I turned, and my empty basket swung in the crook of my right elbow as I stared into the wooded expanse that enclosed most of Oakvale.

Premise/plot: Red Wolf by Rachel Vincent is a retelling of the classic folk tale Little Red Riding Hood. Mostly. Adele, the heroine, does have a grandmother living deep, deep, deep in the woods. And the woods can be deadly, so Adele does have to be careful when she's taking her supplies. But this is a YA retelling. Adele is no girl, but a young woman--sixteen. And would it even be a YA book without a love triangle???

Readers can expect horror, romance, drama, and secrets. Of course, a few of those secrets are spilled right in the jacket copy. For better or worse, the book's description tells you right out that Adele is a werewolf and that she comes from a family of werewolves... If I'd been writing that description, I would have chosen to do it differently. That could just be me. I like to know as little as possible--most of the time--about a book. Especially in this genre/sub-genre.

My thoughts: I found Red Wolf a compelling, atmospheric read. If Readers In Peril was still a thing--is it still a thing???--I would definitely recommend reading this one for the reading challenge. It offers a few spooks and a good amount of blood. This genre/sub-genre is not a favorite of mine. I didn't go out seeking a book starring werewolves--or shapeshifters. But I am drawn to fairy tale (and folk tale) retellings. I like seeing how other authors treat old tales. (The show Once Upon A Time is/was one of my favorites.) 

I do think it will appeal to several different audiences. I think adults who are looking for paranormal thrillers may roll their eyes a bit at the love triangle aspect of it. I know love triangles can really upset some readers who are tired to death of it. But the romance elements were never front and center for me. And that may help some readers out. 

What was front and center for me was the whole nurture versus nature aspect of it. Adele is caught up in something she doesn't really understand and she's in over her head. Of course, nature versus nurture has been done a million times before as well.

I liked the openness of the ending. I think it could easily be a stand alone book, and stay a stand alone book. I don't need a tidier ending than what we get here. But I could see how there's just enough room left open so that a series could happen. But again I don't think readers would have to go on to any future books. 

I did find myself yelling at Adele a couple times throughout the book. There were times I saw danger that she was blind to. There were times I found her frustrating. But overall, I was drawn into her world. 

Quote:

The dark wood takes a little more of you every day that you’re out there, until things that seemed unthinkable a week ago suddenly seem acceptable.


© 2021 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: